Retaliation Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One group stands alone against an army of demons created by dark mages to wipe out the planet. And the story begins...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Debate!: Are Games Art

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Odd One Out
Necromechanical
Necromechanical
Odd One Out

Location : Like an impatient breeder, I'm just waiting for this forum to do something.

Debate!: Are Games Art Empty
PostSubject: Debate!: Are Games Art   Debate!: Are Games Art EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 4:51 pm

This debate is one that, although not always talked about, is very important to most gamers. Some argue that Video Games can never be art and are only good for recreation. Meanwhile most gamers feel that games are art and that they should be treated as such. What's your view? Are games art? What games can be considered art?
Back to top Go down
Romanticide
New Kid
New Kid

PostSubject: Re: Debate!: Are Games Art   Debate!: Are Games Art EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Of course video games are art. What is the definition of art? According to Dictionary.com: the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance. Video games have very beautiful scenes, aspects, storylines, et cetera within them. Moreso, they hold a lot of symbolism for our own world. They cannot be anything but a model of one's imagination, as is a painting. So how could one differentiate between them?
Back to top Go down
Wolfdra
MAD GIRL
MAD GIRL

PostSubject: Re: Debate!: Are Games Art   Debate!: Are Games Art EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 6:03 am

I agree with Rommy. I mean, anything created is art. Just because it's not in the image associated with art [think people like Da Vinci or older artists] doesn't mean that it isn't art. One of the things that I find most appealing in games is the art style of the games. Without them, there weren't be much to look at. A game can have a great feel to it, it can have a great back story or a great music track, but it should also have a great back drop and art style.
Back to top Go down
Odd One Out
Necromechanical
Necromechanical
Odd One Out

Location : Like an impatient breeder, I'm just waiting for this forum to do something.

PostSubject: Re: Debate!: Are Games Art   Debate!: Are Games Art EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Okay. Now lets do what Game Informer did for their argument. Find one video game and give a detailed description as to why it is art.
Back to top Go down
Romanticide
New Kid
New Kid

PostSubject: Re: Debate!: Are Games Art   Debate!: Are Games Art EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 8:56 am

You seem to be making this a difficult task, yo. Whyyyy?
Back to top Go down
Odd One Out
Necromechanical
Necromechanical
Odd One Out

PostSubject: Re: Debate!: Are Games Art   Debate!: Are Games Art EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Like I said, this is what Game Informer did. Okay, so don't post like page long descriptions like GI did but do have a little something to talk about. I'll even throw one of my games in (When I get to it)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debate!: Are Games Art   Debate!: Are Games Art Empty

Back to top Go down

Debate!: Are Games Art
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Retaliation Forum :: Mage's Lounge :: Spam-
Jump to: